Wednesday, July 20, 2011

ON THE ROAD - PAULS JUNK BARN

ENTRANCE TO PAUL'S JUNK BARN
 I was driving on Texas US Highway 59 north of Lufkin when I saw a very interesting sight.  It was a chain link fence enclosing several acres of assorted equipment, tools and other paraphernalia.  A neatly lettered sign at the entrance announced "Paul Nerren's Junk Barn."


PAUL NERREN

To enter the main building I had to thread my way along a narrow, winding path between stacks of various tools, equipment and household goods.  In the building I was greeted by several of Paul's family members and asked if I needed help.  I was looking for a scythe blade and the business end of a turning fork and was directed to shelving overflowing with assorted hand tools. It didn't take long to find what I came for, but the place was so fascinating I continued to wander.  it is like a museum on sale - without the labels and history of the items.  For that you need to talk to Paul or his daughter, Phleshia.  Both were glad to explain what things were and a little history about them.  I enjoyed speaking with both but Paul was more flexible about the prices.  He was kind and hospitable, but the double barreled shotgun laid by his side showed he was also serious about business. 

 
 Paul briefly told me he had originally worked for the local paper mill and started 25 years ago trading at the flea market in his spare time.  The business grew to the point where he was able to buy the current location and set up full-time. Now there are several rooms, each with it's own special class of item.  One held books and phonograph albums, another parts for gas heaters.  Hand told were everywhere and it was quite unpredictable what could be found with a little searching and digging.  I imagine someone trying to furnish a period house or display would do well here.


In fact Mike Wolfe and Frank Fritz, better known from the History Channel’s show “American Pickers,” paid Mr. Nerren a visit this past March.  Paul proudly displays their autographed picture above the spot where he sits and greets visitors in his well used recliner.
WAGON WHEEL RIMS OUTSIDE

Outside there is much more.  Besides and open fronted shed, tarps cover some of the grounds but much of it is open to the weather. 

Not only did I find what I came for, but a few other things.  Had my budget permitted, I'd even picked up some other things for future projects.  Where else near home can I find wagon wheel rims and timber saws? I think I shall return when it's not raining for a more extensive search for bargains.





SHELVES OF GLASSWARE

SHELVES OF HAND TOOLS



CERAMIC GAS HEATER INSERTS

No comments:

Post a Comment