Tuesday, August 30, 2011

THE LITTLE THINGS - THE GREAT TEXAS DROUGHT

The drought here in East Texas has reach what the experts call "Exceptional."  I'd agree with that.  In my half-century of life this is the first time I have seen trees turning brown in midsummer all across the state.  Even though I have watered my garden regularly, the heat apart front the dryness is killing the plants.  Even the weeds are dying!  The exceptionally hardy Bahia grass is even struggling.


It is so hot that fires are starting spontaneously.  As we drove last weekend to Austin, there were numerous scorched areas, some still smoldering along the highway.  We even saw the remnants of a truckload of hay burning along the highway!  According to the local firemen responding, the truck had come out of Mississippi with a large load of rolled hay bales.  Somehow it had caught on fire.  They had offloaded the truck and saved it from damage, but the cargo was lost!

Back home the lawn had turned brown and crunchy and the shrubbery and plantings are dying.

The positive side of this is that there are no flies, mosquitoes or roaches.  The mice are almost gone and we haven't seen much of the usual varmints like coyotes, skunks or raccoons.  I haven't had to mow the lawn all summer and


Even so, we are looking forward to rain. I am eager to plant the fall garden and get back to being able to burn in the backyard.

After the Response in Houston earlier this month, I expect we shall see rain in abundance in due time.  God does answer prayer after all!


No comments:

Post a Comment