Tuesday, January 25, 2011

THE LITTLE THINGS - WASHING DISHES

As I wrote before, it seems that whenever income dries up, appliances decide to develop malfunctions or die altogether.  I suppose that if we had a dishwasher, it too would have failed by now.  For good or bad, our rental home didn't come with a dishwasher and obviously we can't afford to buy one now.  That leaves three options.  One is explained in the following joke.

JOKE

A man visits his father who has retired to a small, primitive cabin in the woods.  They eat dinner together and as they dine, the son notices that the glass he's drinking from isn't exactly spotless.

"Dad," he says, "this glass doesn't look clean.  Was it washed?"

Without looking up, the father scowls and replies, "That's the best Cold Water can do son."

As they finish the meal, the son looks at the dishes and remarks, "You know, these dishes really seem rather dirty and the food tasted funny.  Are you sure they were washed properly."

The father goes to get dessert while the son clears the table. "Don't be so fussy.  You know we don't have fancy dishwashers like folks in town.  That's the best Cold Water can do."

Dessert is served and the son looks at his serving with some apprehension.  "I'm full dad.  I think I'll pass on dessert.  Besides, it's late and I should be heading home."

"Suit yourself," the father replies and eats both desserts as the son puts on his coat and hat.  

As the son is leaving, he stops and watches his father lay out all the dishes on the front porch and whistle loudly.  "Here Cold Water, come and get it!" he calls.   A large hound dog lopes up and begins licking the dishes clean.
The son decides he won’t be dining there for awhile.

END OF JOKE

Now, while we have do have a dog, we NEVER let her eat from the same dishes we eat from.

The other two options are to use disposable plates, cups and utensils or to wash by hand.  The former seems like an extravagant waste, so we are relegated to the latter.  I don't like washing dishes and my daughter detests it.  So we take turns, but due to obvious friction, it seems to be more often my turn than hers.

I have learned a few things from this.  

1. wash the dishes after each meal if possible because they stack up rapidly and fill the sink and counter.  Also, left in the open long, the food dries or turns nasty and this makes washing by hand all the more unpleasant and tedious.

2. use good dish washing soap.  I tried cheap brands and I tried making my own.  Spending 20 or 30 cents more for a bottle of Dawn or the like is very much worth the extra cost. 

3. A good sponge, preferably with scotch brite on one side is a great tool. Scrub brushes and metal scouring pads aren't usually worth the extra expense and effort.

4. to clean metal with tarnish or charred spots use baking soda and lemon juice backed up by vigorous scouring with scotch brite. (Copper is easy to clean, stainless steel the most difficult)

5. to clean teapots and other glass or ceramic drinking vessels with deposits in them use a special coffee pot cleaner - Dip It works well if allowed to soak overnight.  Rinse thoroughly after cleaning though or you’ll have a new and startling taste sensation!

6. don't bother drying the dishes if you are not in a hurry.  They will air dry perfectly well in the dish drainer, and have a capacious drainer with a separate slot for utensils and hooks for cups.  Note: dry cups upside down so the water can run out.  Place on a towel if there's no room in the dish drainer.

7. Put the dishes away when they are dry for two reasons:
       a. you'll need the room later
       b. if you accidentally bump a large pile of dishes the result can be highly embarrassing!

8. don't let wooden or carbon steel (like cast iron pans) soak in water, they will rot and rust.  Aluminum pots and utensils should also not soak or be exposed t caustic cleaners.

9. wash cans and bottles you intend to recycle or save.  This doesn't require much more effort and is a kindness to the recycles and provides you with a handy supply of containers. Save labels for the local public school if they redeem them for things from the vendor.
10. replace sponges at regular intervals of a week or so – or else!

Despite being underemployed, I do have a busy schedule and so rather resent the time spent on washing dishes.  For a while I just stood there at the sink and endured this seeming waste of time until I realized that there are some things I can do even when my hands are busy (and my brain isn't!).

Singing!

I sing base in our church choir and am not yet one of the best choralists. So I prop up a hymn book on the window frame and sing while I scrub the pots and pans.  Progress is slow, but there has been significant improvement in my skill since beginning this program.  Playing accompanying music on the CD player also helps.  Admittedly, hymns can become a little monotonous at times too.  So, I throw in some ballads and folk songs now and then.  They are easy and simple and repetitive, so not too challenging for an amateur like me. 

Lastly, we don't forget the dog.  BEFORE washing the dishes, we scrape the leftovers into a feeding bowl and let her contend with the turkeys for the scraps.  Between them nothing remains, not even potatoes peels!

Someday I hope to have a dishwasher again.  The thought that I shall use a bit more electricity or water does bother me, but by then I should have reached my peak as a singer and will look forward to respite from the sponge.







No comments:

Post a Comment